About

You know what? Describing yourself in a little box is not as easy as it seems. I'll update this section later.

Fun with Tulle


I've never worked with tulle before, but now that I did, tulle is like, the most awesome fabric, isn't it?

I wanted to make a fabric flower brooch for a friend's wedding, so I bought some pieces of fabric. The first one is purple french tulle, and the second one is a chiffon two tone with an awesome color gradient. I didn't have much time til the wedding, so I made the flower with what I have, which is basically thread and needle.

I like the result, and it's not bad for something I created in less than 3 hours, but honestly, I'm not crazy about it. It's kind of too big and bulky because I have to fold the fabric into two to avoid showing the edges (didn't have time to trim them).

Then I had this idea to make a head piece, inspired by Ongina, RuPaul's Drag Race Season 1 contestant. Ongina is bald, yet she's one of the fiercest queens out there. Her significant style is to wear head pieces, and it works well for her. I was thinking, women in hijabs don't have hair to decorate, and our heads are almost the same with bald people. But with fabric which we can pin things on, which is better.

Now back to tulle, and why it is awesome :
1. There are a lot of types and colors of tulle to choose from, and they are CHEAP.
2. No trim. You can cut it into whatever shape you want without any worry about how you should trim the edges.
3. Rumple it a little, and voila you got yourself a couture piece, lol.

I mean look at this awesome photo: (that I stole from Austin Young's facebook)


And all you need to get that awesome head piece is some yards of black tulle.

I combined the chiffon two tone flower with my rumpled tulle, pin them to my head and here's the result :



(It looks much better in real life, but that's what they all said :p)

I don't have fancy camera and studio equipments, I can only hope one day I can make artsy portraits like Austin Young.

0 comments:

Post a Comment